Thursday, April 23, 2020

The Keck Thoughts 2020 NFL Mock Draft

Alright you hooligans, let's do this. All week I've been doing mock draft exercises utilizing the mock draft simulators on The Draft Network and on Pro Football Focus's websites, seeing what various scenarios we could potentially see if the Detroit Lions were to stay put at the 3rd overall pick, if they were to trade down to the 5th overall pick with the Miami Dolphins, and if they traded down to the #6 pick with the Los Angeles Chargers.

Today I focus solely on the the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft and predict what I think WILL happen. As we've already covered this is a fruitless endeavor because there are just SO many variables in reality, but this is for fun and games.

One more time: these are my predictions for where I think teams will pick players. I'm going to project trades that I think are likely/possible to happen. I don't like doing mock drafts that don't incorporate trades because trades do happen and happen with some frequency in reality.

Originally I had planned to do a little write-up for each pick giving my rationale but I've run out of time, so instead I'll briefly discuss why I have the Lions taking Jeffrey Okudah at #5.

There has been so much smoke throughout the entire pre-draft process, and somewhere in that smoke I believe there's fire. My belief is that Miami has ALWAYS had their eye on Tua Tagovailoa. I think they've done a fine job of obfuscating their true intentions, and ultimately they'll pull the trigger on dealing with Detroit to move up to #3. I do not believe they'll part with any of their other 1st-round picks. Instead I think they'll swap 1st's with Detroit and give up their 2nd round pick, which would be pick #39. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe that to be the most realistic move, and I do think Miami trades up.

With Detroit moving down to #5, I think Ohio State cornerback Jeffrey Okudah is #1 on Bob Quinn's board. There's been scuttlebutt that the coaching staff prefers Derrick Brown, but I think Quinn knows how much more valuable a lockdown corner like Okudah provides and won't bring himself to pass Okudah over for Brown, however good Brown may be.

With all of that said, let's get to it! If I hit on even five of these picks I'll be thrilled.

KECK THOUGHTS 2020 NFL MOCK DRAFT

#1.) Cincinnati Bengals - Joe Burrow, QB, LSU


#2.) Washington Redskins - Chase Young, Edge, Ohio State


#3.) Miami Dolphins (trade with Detroit) - Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama

#4.) New York Giants - Tristans Wirfs, OT, Iowa

#5.) Detroit Lions (trade with Miami) - Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio State

#6.) Los Angeles Chargers - Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon

#7.) Carolina Panthers - Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn

#8.) Arizona Cardinals - Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

#9.) Atlanta Falcons (trade with Jacksonville Jaguars) - C.J. Henderson, CB, Florida

#10.) Miami Dolphins (trade with Cleveland Browns) - Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama

#11.) New York Jets - Mekhi Becton, OT, Loiusville

#12.) Las Vegas Raiders - CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma

#13.) San Francisco 49ers - Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama

#14.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Josh Jones, OT, Houston

#15.) Denver Broncos - Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama

#16.) Jacksonville Jaguars (trade with Atlanta) - Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina

#17.) Dallas Cowboys - Cesar Ruiz, C, Michigan

#18.) Cleveland Browns (trade with Miami) - Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State

#19.) Las Vegas Raiders - Isaiah Simmons, LB/S, Clemson

#20.) Jacksonville Jaguars - K'Lavon Chaisson, Edge, LSU

#21.) Philadelphia Eagles - Brandon Aiyuk, WR, Arizona State

#22.) Minnesota Vikings - Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU

#23.) New England Patriots - Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama

#24.) New Orleans Saints - Patrick Queen, LB, LSU

#25.) Minnesota Vikings - Jaylon Jefferson, CB, Utah

#26.) Miami Dolphins - A.J. Epenesa, Edge, Iowa

#27.) Seattle Seahawks - Yetur Gross-Matos, Edge, Penn State

#28.) Baltimore Ravens - Zack Baun, Edge/LB, Wisconsin

#29.) Tennessee Titans - Isaiah Wilson, OT, Georgia

#30.) Green Bay Packers - Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor

#31.) San Francisco 49ers - Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama

#32.) Kansas City Chiefs - Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU

2 comments: