Thursday, June 18, 2015

2015 NBA Mock Draft 2.0

The 2015 NBA Draft is one from tonight, and as we get closer to the actual draft the rumors and rumblings around the league are continuing to swirl and… rumble, I guess. Regardless, I've read enough that I've made a few changes in my first update. Again, because I only really care about who the Detroit Pistons can and will be drafting with the 8th overall selection, I've only mocked the first eight picks.

Prefacing again that I have no first-hand knowledge of who will be drafting whom. What I've done is scoured the interwebs and read about as many mock drafts as I could by people who have done them and done them well for a long time, as well as read up on the rumors and rumblings from around the league by people in the know, and then included my own intuition to make my final picks. This is not scientific by any means.

I will make one more update a week from today on the day of the draft, so there may be some changes to come.

I should also note that I have not mocked any trades that have not yet been made. I hate it when other mock drafts do this, so I refuse to do it myself. So without further ado, here are some Keck Thoughts on the NBA Draft.

KECK THOUGHTS NBA Mock Draft 2.0


1.) MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES: Karl-Anthony Towns, C/PF, Kentucky 

The rumblings that Flip Saunders prefers Jahlil Okafor are slowly dying, but aren’t quite dead yet. I still think common sense will prevail and Saunders will take the post player that better fits alongside the talent Minnesota already has, and that’s Towns. (Previous pick: Karl-Anthony Towns)




2.) LOS ANGELES LAKERS: Jahlil Okafor, C, Duke 

The Lakers are apparently debating between 3 players: Okafor, D’Angelo Russell and Kristaps Porzingis. Russell and Porzingis have perked their ears after impressive workout showing, and while both would fill needs for the Lakers, I think Okafor is still the best option because he’s the most pro-ready post player to come out of college in a long time. (Previous pick: Jahlil Okafor)







3.) PHILADELPHIA 76ERS: Kristaps Porzingis, C/PF, Latvia 

Ok, I’ll buy it. Porzingis held a workout for all 30 NBA teams in Los Angeles last week and by all accounts he blew people away with his athleticism and shooting ability. With Philly’s 2014 1st round pick, Joel Embiid, possibly missing another complete season (this time thanks to a foot injury), I can see 76ers GM Sam Hinkie sticking with his Best Player Available strategy of stocking up pure talent, position/fit be damned. Philly could certainly use D’Angelo Russell, but I’ll buy what the experts are saying about Porzingis shooting up draft boards.  (Previous pick: D’Angelo Russell)





4.) NEW YORK KNICKS: D'Angelo Russell, PG, Ohio State 

Phil Jackson will probably do backflips if Russell falls to the Knicks here, bad back and all. The pros say Russell is a perfect fit for the triangle offense, and he’s the best point guard in the entire draft, making him a perfect fit for a team that badly needs a point guard. It’s still possible New York could trade down if someone is willing to swap first-round picks and New York can nab a veteran worth doing a trade, but I’m skeptical.  (Previous pick: Kristaps Porzingis)




5.) ORLANDO MAGIC: Willie Cauley-Stein, C, Kentucky 

No change here in my mind. I still think Orlando’s new defensive-minded head coach, Scott Skiles, will want the athletic paint defender to go along with the Magic’s other athletic defenders in Victor Oladipo, Aaron Gordon and Elfrid Payton. That said, Winslow or Hezonja would be good editions to an already athletic team that needs outside shooting.  (Previous pick: Willie Cauley-Stein)






6.) SACRAMENTO KINGS: Mario Hezonja, SF, Croatia 

I’m changing my pick for Sacramento based on rumblings that Sacramento’s de facto general manager, Vlade Divac, really likes Hezonja. Emmanuel Mudiay is very much in play here, too, but apparently Divac has an affection for his fellow Eastern European who has legit NBA skills and would be a nice, lengthy addition alongside Ben McLemore and Rudy Gay. (Previous pick: Emmanuel Mudiay)






7.) DENVER NUGGETS: Emmaunuel Mudiay, PG, Congo 

This was a tough call between Mudiay and Justise Winslow, but if Mudiay falls this far I don’t see how Denver can pass on him. It’s clear that current Nuggets point guard Ty Lawson isn’t long for the Mile High City, so Mudiay could be a good heir apparent for him.  (Previous pick: Justise Winslow)






8.) DETROIT PISTONS: Justise Winslow, SG, Duke 

Wishful thinking? Maybe, but Winslow had a visit and workout with the Pistons on Tuesday. This tells me that Winslow’s camp has enough information to believe he might fall to the eight spot, and if he does there’s absolutely no way Stan Van Gundy passes on him. Especially following the Ersan Ilyasova trade that shored up Detroit’s power forward spot, at the 8th pick Winslow would be the perfect marriage of need and fit for the Pistons.  (Previous pick: Mario Hezonja)





As it stands right now, that's how I think the first eight picks of the 2015 NBA Draft will go down, barring any trades. As I said before, this is subject to change when I do my last update next week before the actual draft.

Do you have any agreements or disagreements? If so, feel free to share your thoughts and maybe your own mock in the comments. I'd love to discuss the draft with anyone who would like to.

No comments:

Post a Comment